Saturday, November 13, 2010

Logic, hmmm do we have it?

Today is Saturday, it's a very pretty Saturday too i might add. My sister and her friends are off on a church retreat by Lake Arrowhead so i am an only child for the weekend. My mother is napping in a chair next to me, an almost empty teacup is sitting prettily next to my hand and my French homework is prodding me whispering "Allez-y!" so naturally my blog came to my mind. There are things to do, I am going to blog! I think blogging should be counted as extra credit for English or Writing class, don't you? It would be a great way to get teens to start writing, "go write on the internet all about yourself!"

Well, it is Saturday and Saturday means that i have my figure painting class at 9:00 A.M. to 12:00 P.M. Haha! my mom just snored herself awake! Anyway, I am completely enjoying this class and am excelling in my painting talent that, before this class, stood at 0. This is mean sounding but i was thrilled that i wasn't the worst one in the class! There is no way that i am even near the best in class but at least i know the difference between a canvas and an easel. The people are nice, I have been talking with two other girls in there and today i had a most enlightening and frustrating conversation with them.

We were chatting about normal teen things like friends and school when, somehow, it came up that i don't believe in sex before marriage. They were somewhat shocked. They know i am a christian and i know neither of them are. This is roughly how the conversation went, with my mind commentary added. I was never bratty or disrespectful when i answered them and they were never bratty either.

L:"You don't believe in sex before marriage? Not even in college?"
Mind:(no.)
V: *pulls ear phone out of ear* What?
L: "oh, she doesn't believe in having sex before marriage."
V: "Really? not at all?"
Mind:(um...no!)
Me: "No. I think it's kind of disrespectful to the man you will marry one day."
L: "But you need to know what your getting in to. Like, in Sex and The City one of the characters doesn't have sex with her husband until they get married but she had had sex with other guys and she finds out he is really bad in bed."
Mind:(excuse me, what? why are you taking relationship advice from that show? and if she hadn't slept around then she would never have known anyway!)
Me: "I really don't think it's necessary."
V: "Well, how young would you say is too young if you didn't wait?"
Mind:(Excuse me, what?)
Me: "I really don't have an opinion about that because i think you should wait."
L: "What about living together, do you believe in that?"
Me: "No, not really cause it takes away the excitement of when your married and you finally get to live with each other, it's like 'Yes! finally'"
L: "But what if you get married and then find out that he has all these stupid little habits that drive you crazy?"
Mind:(You'll have stupid little habits, too!)
Me: "But they are just stupid little things. If you let those get in the way, you're supposed to love each other no matter what. And if you have known each other long enough there won't be that many things that you don't know about."
L: "Yeah but if there are enough stupid little things. No, I'm probably gonna live with him before i marry him. My parents lived with each other a long time before they got married and they aren't divorced."
Mind:(ok.)
Me: "My parents dated for about a year before they got married and they are still together and not getting divorce anytime soon."
Mind:(thats sarcasm.)
L: "Wow, really? Thats not a very long time."
V: "It's usually the people who don't believe in sex or living together that get married young."
Mind:(is there a problem with that?)
L: "Yeah, you're right. Like in their twenties."
Me: "So you don't plan on getting married tell your around thirty?"
L: "Probably. Why, what age do you think is good?"
Me: "Like, twenty-four. Around there."
L: "Wow, thats really young. Most people now a days don't get married that young."
Mind:(So what.)
Me: "Well if you love the guy then why not?"
L: "Yeah, i know but you can live together and then when you get married then you can have a baby and start building a family."
Mind:(or you could just get married and wait, you know just a suggestion.)

So thats pretty much how it went. I is baffling what lies this world feeds us impressionable teenagers. I feel like innocence and morals don't have a place here anymore. Well, my teacup is empty and my mom has moved to her bed to nap. My french is still poking me so i should go.
Post later!

2 comments:

  1. Technically in Sex and the City the guy wasn't really capable of having sex once he got married, so of course it was bad. So technically I'm not sure that is relevant to the argument. AND they dated for only a month before getting engaged, further discrediting your friend's story. Do your research people!

    ReplyDelete