Monday, January 31, 2011

A foreigner outside a window

I remember when I thought 'wisdom' a large word. I was short then, and infused with all sorts of charming antics that made adults remark on how cute I was. There was little in the world to trouble me; a scrapped knee, a lost toy, or a denied sweetie were enough to set my world rocking on its foundations. But what was that? Was that innocence? foolishness?
No, it was the reasoning of a child. A woman I know once told me that growing up is like looking through a window. When you are young you can only see the tops of trees outside so thats all you know. As you grow you realize that there is more and more to see outside that window tell you can step right through it. I am barely tall enough to peek over the window sill; I can not totally understand everything out there.
Something that is outside that window is wisdom. It is growing up tree trunks and entwining with rose thorns, it's thrusting spindly white roots deep into soft soil. It is there, outside. I see it now and it seems bigger then when I was little. There is so much of it out there, and the taller I grow the farther down I see its roots extending. Simply listening to adults and friends talking or reading a book causes realizations to burst in my brain.
One realization that has graced my being is that wisdom is entirely different from knowledge.
"Wisdom is not finally tested in the schools, Wisdom cannot be pass'd from one having it to another not having it, Wisdom is of the soul, is not susceptible of proof, is its own proof." - Walt Whitman
"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe." - Marilyn vos Savant

Wisdom does not belong to the mind only. It seems to be a soup of morals, knowledge, open mindedness, and a ton of other factors not related to simply studying from books. Wisdom can be had everywhere! Ounce I found this out I have had an amusing time listening to random conversations in restaurant booths behind me and crowds in the streets.
You see, I am finding out how to sail a ship in a crowded sea. I am just a fool looking for a way to mean more to this world then an artist scribbling on papers. I have a feeling it will take awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment