Friday, January 21, 2011

"I shall live for ever and ever and ever!"



Well, The Secret Garden has come and gone. After I finished it I held my do-not-read-for-the-remainder-of-the-day fast. It is my way of saying thank you and goodbye to a book that really struck deep or was just fabulously written; this book was both.

It was just perfect! The delightful child characters developed and progressed naturally and smoothly. Frances Hodgson Burnett must have got along splendidly with children; she captures their play and attitudes superbly. It is no wonder when she was the mother to two boys. I felt like I was with them as they planted and tended the garden.

The adults in the story were wonderfully thick as well. By thick I mean full and completely developed so they seemed like three demential humans that had more to them then you, as the reader, could see. Oh! it was genius!

The story starts in the winter and when I started it we were in the throws of a Wyoming winter. As we drove toward CA the weather warmed as it did in the book. I was enchanted!

No comments:

Post a Comment