Tuesday, January 04, 2011

A grand intention

"A book is the only place in which you can examine a fragile thought without breaking it, or explore an explosive idea without fear it will go off in your face. It is one of the few havens remaining where a man's mind can get both provocation and privacy."
-Edward P. Morgan

Edward P. Morgan captured what i realized today. I was sitting at the kitchen table reading The Secret Garden while I ate a delicious egg sandwich. I was not myself while I read. I had a feeling as though I wasn't anyone really. It was not a "Oh my gosh!!!" kind of feeling, just a simple relieving sensation. I was a conciseness watching and listening and being beside Mary and Dickon in the garden. I was not a spirit, just rather real in the book. Thats the way it felt, it felt like reality for a bit.
That was the safe haven that our friend Mr. Morgan was speaking of. I could easily think as though I was little Mistress Mary while I was hovering near by. I could know things about animals that I do not actually know.
Characters in books are interesting. Authors create them and fill them with thoughts to think and instincts to act upon, not unlike stuffing a teddy bear, then they lay them in pages to be looked at and studied. But what puzzles me is their openness. No matter how well rounded the characters are, you are able to apply a bit of something unique to them.
What I mean is, when you talk about a book with your friends their experience of it is always slightly different then yours. The characters can act as sheaths that are easy to fit into. When in one of these character sheaths I can contemplate emotions or evils that I haven't or never will experience.
So with these qualities of books I realized another one: books are not for finishing. To read a book simply to finish it is a sacrilege! An insult to authors and their art. Fiction, essay, fantasy, biography, information, etc. are for learning and experiencing. I am sorry to say I have read a few books to finish them but I vow to never attempt it again. Better to not read at all.
Read like you mean it!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you!! And seriously, they were another Urban Outfitters sale jackpot item. I got them for like $10!!! And they are actually really well made.

    It's my pleasure! You are an awesome writer.

    ReplyDelete