Wednesday, December 22, 2010

A mind alive in the sky

Oh my... I am exhausted. My mother, father, sister, three dogs and I have just spent two and a half days on snowy, icy and rainy roads. It was a bit smelly and a bit hairy and after a day and a half my nerves were running a wee thin. I got snippy, Ayla got annoyed at me and mommy reprimanded me for making little remarks about my dads driving. I deserved it but being confined to a seat with dogs on two sides made me high-strung and rebellious. I took the only freedom possible that allowed for no interaction with my family: the window.

The glass was cold and the dry outlines of melted snow speckled it. Landscapes rolled by, up and down, up and down it passed through my square of vision. Not much could be seen once we got out of LA, but out there was not in the car so that was good enough for me.

The last day of driving my mind sprang open, my eyes felt hungry as I stared out my window. Lively descriptions flooded my consciousness, I had to jot them down in my journal as fast as they came. Here are some that i scribbled:
-The flat land going by has no horizon, it just stretches on to double over us in whiteness that brakes apart to show patches of scattered blue. A layer of snow blankets the countryside, it is just thin enough to show a crew-cut fuzz of dead yellow grass. Bunches of gray trees huddle pathetically in creases made between the rolling hills. Outlines of black or brown cows pass quickly by. They must be shivering with murderous thoughts of their farmer buzzing about in their heads to the beat of chewing cud. Out of the hills sprout metal skeletons that hold on nimbly to thin strings of wire that connect city to town to city. The sun peeks above the changing hills as it hovers to the left of us. It hesitates over the edge of the world, like a child hesitating over a cold pool. This is Wyomings winter land without any wonder.

-The sun has finally decided to swim below the horizon. It's round sinking silhouette can be clearly seen when looked at through gray fluffs of cloud. Rays of orange light blaze in a fan above it, dusting the white clouds higher up with rainbows. I guess Wyoming keeps it's beauty in it's sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment