Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Of scales, fur and evil hula hoops


Do you remember a time when you saw something scaring, disturbing, bad, horrible, and wretched?
Oh yeah! When you saw X-Men: Last Stand. And then again when X-Men Origins: Wolverine came out. These movies sank through the legions of bad films to settle at the bottom as some of worst in history(I must admit I would much rather watch these then say, Master Of Disguise though). All hope for future X-Men movies was left in the theater chairs that audiences had gladly vacated.
What, then, happened to the new X-Men movie?
Why am I asking this question? Because X-Men: First Class is great!
The mutants that had grown dull and clique are re-vaped in this deliciously action packed prequel. Director Matthew Vaughn, I tip my hat to your success.
Set in 1962 the mutants are not yet discovered and lie mostly under the radar. Charles Xavior is a charming and X-Tremly(I am so sorry, I just could not help myself) smart collage doctorate who uses his unusual knowledge to charm women. James McAvoy does a tip-top job of playing the idealistic professor. Michael Fassbender plays the tortured holocaust survivor Erik Lensherr, the future Magneto.
The two mutants banned together along with other young mutants including Jennifer Lawrence as a flirty teenaged Mystique, Nicholas Hoult as the beastly genius Hank McCoy and Caleb Landry Jones as the high flying super sonic Banshee, among others. All to defeat the war mongering Dr. Sebastian Shaw who's power allows him spew fire and explosions fit to match his diabolical character.
To keep Dr. Shawsevil plot from becoming a reality the good band of mutants, joined by hot C.I.A. agent Moira MacTaggert, must ultimatly stop the Cuban Missile Crisis.
Sure, there were a few story flaws and cheesy lines but it just added to the fun factor of this movie. Things like how Xavier ended up in a wheel chair will be revealed in the thrilling ending. When the angst-y Magneto calls out "Who will come with me?" I jumped up in the middle of the theater and called "I will!"
This fresh fast-paced film will leave you cheering and saying "Who needs the other stories? I just want the prequel!"
I wish I was a Mutant.

-All the enthusiasm I have, Tallie Raye

No comments:

Post a Comment