Thursday, May 26, 2011

And may the odds be ever in your favor

Today I finished reading the Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins. It is the third and last book (I think) in the well known Hunger Games series. Instead of just writing only about Mockingjay I will attempt to write about all three of the books. No spoilers included.

#1 - The Hunger Games
The first book really does captivate you. It starts in what used to be the United States but a
fter an un
known disaster in the distant past, the country collapsed. What is left is a distopian society divided into thirteen districts ruled over by a flamboyant capital city. After an unsuccessful uprising in which District Thirteen was destroyed, again in the past, the capital began a yearly punishment for its unruly districts.
Each year a boy and a girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen are picked from each district to participate in the hunger games. The games are a televised fight to the death between the twenty-four children or tributes, as they are called.
The story is about Katniss Everdeen. A seventeen year old girl from district twelve who gets picked for the hunger games.
I enjoyed this book immensely! Action packed and clever it is one of the few teen novels I truly respected. My one issue with it was the love triangle. Now, every teen novel ever written has a love triangle but thats not my problem. The author made the love triangle seem like the most troubling thing to the main character. I am sorry, I would assume being trapped in a boobie-trapped arena with twenty three blood thirsty people hunting you would take precedence over whether you like your best friend or the guy that got picked for the games with you.
Anyway other then th
at, I liked it.

#2- Catching Fire.
This one is about the aftermath of the Hunger Games. At the end of which Katniss had defied the president of the capital and saved Peeta, the guy tribute from district twelve, so there were two champion this year instead of just one.
So the president hates her; she still can not decide who she loves, Peeta or Gale, her best friend; and there is another rebellion rising. In the midst of this the President(who hates Katniss remember?) declares another hunger games that will involve the winners of all the previous hunger games. Then there is a twist that I totally saw coming at the end.
Over all, not one of the best books in the world.


#3- Mockingjay
This was my favorite of them all. This book had many twists I had no idea were coming. They sprang up on me, like an evil trap made by the capital.
I do not want to give away anything so I won't say much. Only this: one way or another, through countless nightmares and harrowing situations and battles, Katniss Everdeen, The Girl On Fire, chooses her man.
I can here the exasperated sighs now. Yes that is all I am giving away. That is not the whole point of the book at all, though. It has much more happen in it.
The only thing that was a bit annoying was that, in the beginning, it was repetitive. But that is a mild annoyance if any.
Read all the books! I wish I could say "Skip the second one," but it is too important for the third one.
I enjoyed them, you will enjoy them.
Your welcome-Tallie Raye

P.S. I am so stoked for the movies!

No comments:

Post a Comment