Thursday, March 10, 2011

Everything but the blood hounds snapping at her rear end

Sitting here lounging in a leather chair that has been dubbed "The Man Chair" by my family, well deserved on account of its puffy largeness. As I reclined I struggled to get through my homework while a movie was unfolding on the screen of the TV. "Ah, foolish teenager," you think, "Watching movies while she should be studying!"
Yes, I'll admit it was fool hardy of me to believe that I could quickly get my homework done in this way. But what a movie!
All About Eve is not just any old movie. It is one of those rare films that makes you feel accomplished after the last scene flickers to a finish. It is a work of art!
Made in 1950 it is black and white, the best films are all in black and white. The script is genus; witty dialogue bounces from one character to another. Over lapping and coming together to make a choppy symphony of perfect word-play. The characters are real and rounded, with pasts beyond what is caught between the beginning and the end of the film. The scenes are directed (oh dear, I am running out of adjectives)impeccably and the acting...Well, let me tell you about the acting.
Betty Davis got an Oscar nomination for this here film and she is by far the crown jewel in the solid gold of this movie. Playing an aging insecure actress she dazzles the viewer with explosions of temper to be countered the next moment by genuine tenderness and regret. Betty Davis is closely followed by Anne Baxter who plays Eve Harrington. The movie revolves around Eve but I won't tell you why, you will have to watch the film to find out. Believe me, you want to. The other roles are excellently played by superb actors and actresses, including Marilyn Monroe in her debut role.
The story builds with tension from the very beginning, keeps you intrigued tell the last bow. And when I say the last bow i mean that it ends with someone bowing into a mirror. It sounds odd, but that last moment makes you cry out with "Oh My Gosh!". Yes, someone bowing into a mirror makes you yell that.
Watch the movie. And make sure to fasten your seat belts, it'll be a bumpy ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment