Thursday, February 10, 2011

Coming to a theater near you!

Alright, I feel an urge to address a growing problem in our generation. It is a very distressing problem and highly disgraceful to admit to having such a problem. I should get to the point; the problem I am speaking of is the alarming decrease of good films being in theaters over the last few years. Sure there have always been box office flops and always will be; how could you tell a film is good if there were not bad ones, right? I thought so, but lately it seems that people are losing that ability. To many people come out of a film in which the dialogue, story and character development tanked saying, "What a great film!" What? That makes no sense to me!
My sister and I do have a bit more of an acute sense of this because our father is a script writer and has taught us well in this area.
Now there is that occasional movie that fails in every aspected concerning a good film yet is terrifically fun! Take the 2009 Wolverine movie; bad story and dialogue yet the CGI infested action is great fun to watch. Or Bill and Teds Excellent Adventure; what the heck is the point of that movie? I have not the faintest clue but it fills the need for cheesy stupid humor and bad affects. I mean, what can beat a time machine phone booth filled with historical figures shooting along a time line that resembles a giant brain nerve? I bet I lost you in the last description. Your cocking your head at the computer saying "What is this girl talking about? History? Brain nerves, What?!" Just see the movie.
What I am trying to say is that there are exceptions to the bad movie making business. This movie is excluded from that exception.
The only explanation for the making of Gnomeo and Juliet I can come up with is a vague picture of a board movie maker with a volume of Shakespeare in his front lawn. I mean, it sounds like the beginning of a bad joke the punch line of which is this movie. I do not care if you think it 'looks cute'. I refuse to see this desecration of the greatest work of one of the worlds greatest writers! I can not make my point clearer.
This movie I do not understand. It has potential to be fun because it is a Pixar film and Pixar always manages to make a film fun. Now I thought that Cars 1 was not Pixars crowning moment. Yes, the landscapes were pretty but the script and animation can not rival their other movies. The hair and door work in Monsters Ink or the emotion in Wall-Es mechanical eyes and who can forget the facial expressions of fish in Finding Nemo. Fish barely have faces anyway so to make them relatable is a stunning feat. But anyway, Cars 2 is coming, I think Pixar could have done better. They could have made an Incredibles 2. That has an abundance of amazing story line by just saying the name! If they are trying to appeal to the little male audience, boys love super heros. I simple think they could have thought about something else but I will most likely see it when it comes out.
For a film that has come and gone: Yogi Bear. Really? I just want to ask what they were thinking. I see it now, film maker with a volume of childhood cartoons in his hand when a bear come out of the woods behind his house with and malls him! I wish if it had kept this movie out of film making history. It is complete with gross posters and a character that can speak bear. Is that even a language? 'grunt, grunt, *lumbers in a circle*' hey I can speak bear too! Also it dose not make sense that it came out in december. It takes place in the summer. That is just stupid.
Sorry if my opinion hurt anyones feelings. Think what you like about these films but i think they are not a blessing to the film industry. Except maybe Cars 2.
We need more films like Inception, Scott Pilgrim and The Fighter. Gosh that movie was amazing!
The past has produced amazing movies! The Philadelphia Story, Tootsie, All About Eve, The Dead Poets Society. Look at Alfred Hitchcock's films! Come on present! We can do better then this!

No comments:

Post a Comment